- It is slow, inversely slow to the pace of emails you’ll receive, documents you’ll have to read. As everything else gets faster, it gets harder to build and it takes more time.
- Making space is complicated; making good space is enormously difficult.
- You get better at it with time, practice really does make “almost” perfect
- It is addictive, an intense high, when something works and you know you hit a home run
- Failing is the most brutal, the evidence remains there forever.
- Architects are not the friendliest bunch: too competitive and insecure
- BB, don’t TT. Be bold and don’t twinkle toe. Wise words borrowed from my UC Berkeley professor Marvin Buchanan.
- Being a woman does not means I am the interior designer. Thank you vey much.
- Also, why is a 2×4 actually 1.5 x 3.5? Or a 2×8 is 1.5x7.25? Absurd! Give me metric any day My favorite example: There is such a thing an 13/32. In the field a carpenter refers to a 32nd as plus or minus a major fraction. For instance, 13/32 is 1/32 less than 14/32 or 7/16, so it is called “7/16 minus” and 11/32 is 1/32 more than 10/32 or 5/16, so it is called “5/16 plus.”
- I have to worry about birds and glass, a lot, and then there are the endangered species like red-legged frogs and the steelhead trout, and the invasive species like Cape Ivy that all influence the design and its footprint. I should not have skipped those science classes in college.
- If you invite architects over for dinner, don’t set a place for your kid they will be bored out of their mind.
- Every day the quote, “we shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us” – Winston Churchill, becomes more and more apt.
Posts tagged ‘personal post’
13 years after voting in my first election in France, I was naturalized during the second term of Mitterand and Reagan.
I would be remiss not to remind my daughter (and, sometimes, my friends) that I earned my right to vote and that resonates with me. But don’t worry. I’m not here to urge you to vote. I’m not even here to discuss the process of getting naturalized (which we all know is fickle, bureaucratic, painful and so on). I just wanted to add some levity: